Submitted by: Stacey Lopez
In this lesson plan which is adaptable for grades 1-5, students will use BrainPOP and/or BrainPOP Jr. resources to learn about biographies. Students will then select a person whose biography they would like to read (or watch a short video about on BrainPOP). Finally, students will write their own biography on a selected person.
- Define and explain what a biography is.
- Read or watch an example of a biography.
- Compose a biography.
- Computer with internet access for BrainPOP
- Interactive whiteboard (or just an LCD projector)
- Chart Paper
- Markers--variety of colors
- Sticky notes and pencils for students
- Biography template (optional)
Preparation:Students should be informed that they will be taking notes while watching a biography of a famous person. Each student needs a sticky note and pencil. Computer should be ready to play movie. Anchor chart should have the person's name printed at the top of the chart paper.
- Explain to students that a biography of a famous person includes many facts. Ask them to take notes while they are watching either the BrainPOP Biography movie or the BrainPOP Jr. Biography movie. Explain that they will contribute to a class anchor chart about biographies.
- After the movie has finished, ask each student for a fact to add to the anchor chart. Alternate the colors to make it exciting. Students will be able to identify their contribution to the class anchor chart.
- Ask to students to read or watch a biography for a selected person in order to gather more information. Students could watch any of the BrainPOP topics in the Famous Historical Figures Unit or BrainPOP Jr. Biographies Unit, or read about the person's life in a book or online. Instruct students to take more notes while reading.
- Talk with students about the common features their biographies shared. What makes a good biography? Add to the anchor chart as needed.
- Each student may then write their own biography of another person using some of the facts that the class gathered.
Filed as: 3-5, Biography, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.10, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.8, English, K-3, Reading Skills, Writing