Dictionary Lesson Plan: Using Guide Words
Submitted by: Richard Linville
In this dictionary lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 3 through 8, students use BrainPOP resources to learn how to find a word and its meaning in a dictionary using guide words. Students will then create a dictionary challenge for their classmates including guide words as clues.
- Use the guide words in a dictionary to find a word and its information.
- Create a dictionary challenge for their classmates including guide words as clues.
- Dictionary for each student or one dictionary for each small group of students
- A record sheet and pencil for each student
- Computer with internet access and BrainPOP
Preparation:Make a list of 5 words for the students and set up a computer for viewing BrainPOP. Create a record sheet with a heading that includes: NUMBER (#); WORD; PAGE; GUIDE WORDS 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
- Ask students to explain why people use dictionaries.
- Take BrainPOP's Dictionary and Thesaurus POP Quiz to quickly assess what students already know.
- Start the BrainPOP Dictionary and Thesaurus movie. Pause and discuss where necessary.
- After the movie, have the students complete the Quiz again.
- Next, give each student a record sheet and pencil.
- Pass out dictionaries to each student or each group of students.
- Explain that each student or group is going to look up a word using the guide words at the top of each page.
- When the students find the word, they write down its page number and guide words.
- Students can share their findings and create dictionary challenges for the other students/groups to find their words using the guide words and a few other clues.
- Students can correct one another's dictionary challenges.
Extension Activity:Change the GUIDE WORDS heading to DEFINITIONS, or PARTS of SPEECH. Use a thesaurus instead of a dictionary. Tap into the FYI for homework or partner reading activities to extend this topic
Filed as: 3-5, 6-8, Blended Learning, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.5.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.6.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.7.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.6, Dictionary and Thesaurus, English, Lesson Plan, Research Projects, Study and Reading Skills, Teacher Resources, Teaching Resources, Teaching Tips, Teaching Tools