Submitted by: Angela Watson
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades K through 3, students use BrainPOP Jr. resources to identify effective coping strategies for dealing with anger. Students will then practice utilizing anger management strategies in real-life situations.
- Identify effective coping strategies for dealing with anger.
- Practice utilizing anger management strategies in real-life situations.
- LCD projector and/or interactive whiteboard
- Internet access for BrainPOP Jr. resources
Preparation:Preview the movie and the associated resources. Determine whether you want to project the Talk About It feature and type directly into the form, or copy the chart onto your board or a large sheet of paper.
- Display the Talk About It feature and invite students to share what they do to make themselves feel better when they get angry.
- Play the Anger Movie and instruct students to listen for similarities and differences between the way they cope with anger and the way Moby copes with anger.
- Project the Sequence Game and have students recall one strategy Moby uses when he is angry.
- Revisit the Talk About It chart and have students add ideas they learned from the movie.
- Pass out the Activity and have students work in pairs to write a skit in which one person gets angry and deals with it in a healthy way.
- Allow students to perform their skits for the class. As new anger coping strategies are demonstrated, add them to the Talk About It chart.
Extension Activity:Provide students with books about dealing with anger. Some examples of appropriate titles can be found on the Read About It page. Encourage students to create their own books about dealing with anger. They may want to use strategies the class brainstormed on the Talk About It chart as well as ideas they read in books. Keep the books students make and store them in a quiet area of the classroom. Encourage children to re-read their books to help them calm down when they start to feel upset.
Filed as: Anger, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.2.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.K.6, Health, K-3, Mourning, Relationships