Solar System Lesson Plan: Create a Glog
Submitted by: Angela Watson
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 3-12, students use BrainPOP and other resources to research a topic related to the solar system. Students then work collaboratively to create a glog that conveys key points about their solar system topic.
- Research a topic related to the solar system unit of study.
- Work collaboratively to create a glog that conveys key points about their solar system topic.
- Internet access for BrainPOP and Glogster
Preparation:This lesson plan can be utilized at the end of a unit of study on the solar system as either a review or assessment activity. To prepare, create an account for yourself at Glogster and explore how the site works. Plan the timeframe for your students' glog projects and prepare any project guidelines or rubrics you wish to distribute.
- Tell students they will be demonstrating their understanding of the solar system by creating a glog. Show students the site and sample projects that are displayed there.
- Share your project guidelines, rubric, deadlines, etc. with the class.
- Allow students to get into groups and select one of the BrainPOP topics in the Space unit. Students should watch the movie on their computers (or via the BrainPOP app on their mobile devices) to review the information they learned and identify the key points.
- Guide students in using other internet resources as needed as they create their glogs. Be sure to talk about attribution and copyright issues so that students understand how to use images and videos appropriately.
- Encourage students to self-assess their groups' glog according to criteria determined by you or the class.
- Have students save and upload their glogs to your class website or blog. Invite students to view one another's glogs and comment on them.