Game Over Gopher Discussion Questions
Throughout Game Over Gopher game play, we recommend having students pause their game play to think and reflect on their strategies. You can use the following discussion questions to guide students’ thinking approximately 20 minutes into game play:
- What do you like about this game?
- What are some things that make this game challenging?
- Can anyone give classmates hints about how to play the game?
- What math do you see in this game so far?
- What is your favorite tool for feeding the gophers?
- What do you notice about the x-axis and all of the x-coordinates? (Answer: Red)
- What do you notice about the y-axis and all of the y-coordinates? (Answer: Blue)
Once students have had approximately 40 minutes of game play time, you may want to facilitate a class or partner discussion time using these questions:
- What are some hints you can give other students about passing the bonus levels?
- How does the game get more challenging as you advance levels?
- What strategies did you use to master each level?
- What is different about the scale for the x-axis and the y-axis in later levels?
- Are there any hints you can give other students about passing the bonus levels?