Submitted by: Andrea Kohl
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 3-5, students use BrainPOP resources to explore recycling, pollution and their effects on the earth. They will also explain the importance of recycling on a daily basis, and create and maintain a recycling bin for daily recycling.
- Understand pollution and its effects on the earth.
- Explain the importance of recycling on a daily basis.
- Create and maintain a recycling bin for daily recycling.
- Print outs of the Recycling Activity Page
- 8 10-inch pieces of yarn
- Hole puncher
- Lamination machine
- Old newspapers, math sheets, etc. (provided by students' recycling crate)
- Construction paper
Preparation:Split students into 4 groups, then pass out construction paper (1 piece per group) and markers. Ask students what they already know about recycling and why they think it is important.
- Watch the BrainPOP movie Recycling as a class. Students will turn and talk with a neighbor about what they learned from the movie and how the recycling process works.
- In their 4 groups have the students complete the Cycle Diagram Activity using the information they gained from the movie. Share the completed Activity with the class and correct them together.
- Have each group design a poster on a piece of construction paper. The decorations should have to do with recycling. Have the groups write "Recycling Bin" on the pieces of construction paper.
- Laminate the 4 pieces of construction paper, then punch holes in them creating a place to tie the pieces of paper together.
- Tie the string through the holes in the construction paper to the sides of the crate.
- Have students recycle their leftover paper in their recycle crates throughout the school year and keep track of how much paper they recycle at the end of the week.
- At the end of the year, have each group come up with an estimate of how much paper they recycled and then add the 4 groups together. Talk about how much paper was saved and how important it is to continue recycling.
Extension Activity:Have students complete the Experiment from the Recycling movie. This project has students create models of and compare the differences between open dumps and sanitary landfills.
Filed as: 3-5, Blended Learning, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.8, Earth Awareness, Lesson Plan, Plastic, Recycling, Science, Science Lesson Plans, Science Projects, Science and Industry, Scientific Method, Teaching Resources, Waste Management