Ottoman Empire Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan which is adaptable for grades 6-12, students will use BrainPOP resources to learn about the Ottoman Empire.
- Identify and explain key information about the Ottoman Empire.
- Analyze a primary source document from the Ottoman Empire.
- Computers with internet access for BrainPOP
Preparation:Preview the movie and recommended lesson materials below. Make a class set of photocopies for any resources you choose to incorporate.
- Pass out the Graphic Organizer and have students read over it with a partner.
- Explain that you will play the the Ottoman Empire Movie for the class, and students should listen specifically for the information that is outlined in the graphic organizer.
- After the movie, allow students to work with their partners to complete the cause and effect information on the graphic organizer. You may want to play the movie through a second time (perhaps with closed captioning) to support students in recording their thoughts.
- Explain to students that official documents of the Ottoman court were hand-painted with calligraphy seals called tughras. Display the Tughra of Suleiman the Magnificent (which you can access by clicking on the image at the top of the Primary Source Activity.)
- Discuss the tughra with students. You may want to choose a few of the Primary Source Activity questions, or have students complete the activity on their own or cooperatively.
- Pass out a class set of copies of the Trading Card Activity. Have each student create a trading card.
- Challenge students to work in groups to create a learning game using the trading cards. You may want to pass out additional blank copies for students to make additional cards. What is the objective of the game? How are points earned? How does the game help players understand important information about the Ottoman Empire?
- You may want to further assess student learning using the Review Quiz and have students take it as a class, in teams, or in partners.
Filed as: 6-8, 9-12, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.11-12.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.11-12.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.11-12.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.11-12.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.6-8.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.6-8.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.6-8.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.9-10.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.9-10.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RH.9-10.9, Ottoman Empire, Social Studies