Submitted by: Deana Sain
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 6-8, students explore the book Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George. Students will use BrainPOP resources to identify characteristics of the tundra and the different plants and animals that thrive there, and explain physical arctic adaptations that help wolves survive in the Alaskan tundra.
- Read and comprehend the book Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George.
- Identify characteristics of the tundra and the different plants and animals that thrive there.
- Explain physical adaptations that help wolves survive in the Alaskan tundra.
- Internet access for BrainPOP
- One copy of "Julie of the Wolves" for each student
- Paper, pencil, and access to a computer for research
Preparation:Students will be given a schedule in which to read the book. At the end of each section of the book, the students will complete an activity to show their understanding.
- Read the book Julie of the Wolves in five sections.
- After section one, the students will research Alaska and where Julie is lost. They will write in response journals how they would feel if they were lost in the tundra.
- After section two, the students will create an igloo using sugar cubes and white frosting. They will write about Julie's shelter and how she is surviving alone in the tundra.
- After section three, students will create Vocabulary Concentration to use with all the words they have learned so far in the story.
- After section four, they will research pollution in the frozen Arctic and how it is so damaging. They will create reports in teams about what to do to stop pollution.
- After section five, they will get in groups and act out a favorite part in the story. They will also write book reports and tell if they would recommend the book to someone.
Filed as: 6-8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.6.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.7.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.8.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.6.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.6.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.6.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.7.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.7.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.7.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.8.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.8.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.8.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.6.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.8.3, Earth System, Ecology and Behavior, English, Environment, Julie of the Wolves, Lesson Plan, Natural Selection, Science, Tundra