Hibernation Stations Lesson Plan: Hands-On Science Centers
Submitted by: Allisyn Levy
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades K-3, students use BrainPOP Jr. resources to learn which animals hibernate and why. Students will also explore what happens to animals when they hibernate and complete a variety of activities at various stations (centers) to demonstrate their knowledge of hibernation.
- Learn which animals hibernate and why.
- Learn what happens to animals when they hibernate.
- Complete activities at each station to demonstrate their knowledge of hibernation.
- Computer & projector/whiteboard to watch BrainPOP Jr. as a class
- Computers with headphones for partner work
- Photocopies of Print Notebook, Write About It, Activity, and Belly Up (white out the speech bubbles) for each student
- Chart paper
- Paper, index cards, markers, crayons, & pencils
Preparation:Photocopy all handouts for students. Set up stations for the Activity (photocopies, markers/crayons); Comics (Belly up copies, pencils); Computer Station (headphones); Word Wall (index card, pencils, markers/crayons); Writing (Write About It stationary, pencils). Preview movie and read through Ideas for Grownups for some background information.
- Write the word HIBERNATION on the board. Ask students if they recognize the word and know what it means. Discuss!
- As a class, preview the Word Wall words and make predictions for what each word means.
- Hand out copies of Notebook questions. Watch the Hibernation Movie, pausing during each notebook question to discuss. Invite students to take notes or sketch during the pause breaks.
- Watch movie a second time, if necessary.
- Use the Belly Up comic as a shared reading with students. After practicing and discussing what it means as a class, have students practice retelling and acting out the comic.
- Explain that students will get to visit each station to learn more about hibernation. Model your expectations for how students will complete each activity and use the supplies at each station:
Activity: Read through prompt together. Students will sit at Activity center and draw an animal that might hibernate in each place.
Comics: Students will retell what Frank and Joey (the fish!) are saying in each comic. Enlist a volunteer for students to dictate to if needed.
Computer: Students will work with a partner to complete the sequence Game. Each partner should get a turn. I use headphone splitters for this so both partners can use headphones!
Word Wall: Model neat handwriting and sketches and hang up for reference in this station. Students copy down the five new vocabulary words onto index cards. They may illustrate each definition and take these home to practice and share with their families.
Writing: Read prompt together and model a shared writing on chart paper. Hang this up by the Writing center so students can refer to it as needed. You might also enlist the help of a volunteer for this station!
- Continue to rotate students through stations for the next few days until every student has completed each station's activity. You might start each new day by reviewing the movie or taking the Easy Quiz, and end the lesson by taking either the Easy or Hard Quiz.
Extension Activity:Students can bring home index cards and teach new vocabulary words to family members. You can also send home the suggested Family Activities as a homework assignment, where students choose one activity to do with their families, write about it, and bring in their writing to share with the class. There are many other extension suggestions for Teacher Activities as well.
Filed as: Animals, Blended Learning, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.K.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.1.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.K.8, Ecology and Behavior, Hibernation, K-3, Lesson Plan, Science, Seasons, Teaching Tools, Weather