Submitted by: Ashley Allain
In this lesson plan, which is adaptable for grades 3-8, students use BrainPOP resources and Google Earth to relive Christopher Columbus’ maiden voyage. Students will complete a map outlining the route of Columbus’ voyage and create an interactive report using Scratch to highlight the voyage’s main events.
- Re-live Christopher Columbus' maiden voyage using Google Earth
- Complete a map outlining the route of Columbus' maiden voyage
- Complete an interactive report using Scratch to highlight the main events of Columbus' maiden voyage
Preparation:Prior to beginning, load Google Earth, Scratch and Skitch onto your computer(s). This is a paperless project!
- Review the Vocabulary from the movie with students. You may also wish to use the Language tab of the Activity page to help students extend their prior knowledge.
- View the Christopher Columbus movie.
- Relive Columbus' maiden voyage using the Google Earth virtual field trip. (This is a Google Earth file I created, and it can be opened with the Google Earth program.)
- Use the BrainPOP quiz as a means to review and/or assess.
- Click on the BrainPOP map activity. Open Skitch and capture an image of the map.
- Open Scratch and import the image.
- You can download our project and simply delete the text if you would like to have a template to follow. The more adventurous can create their own format for an interactive report. Here's a link to my website (HyperHomeschool) that includes the Scratch program, and here's a link to more info about our Columbus research project.
Filed as: 3-5, 6-8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.4.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.5.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.6.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.6.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.6.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.7.9, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.8.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.8.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.8.9, Christopher Columbus, Famous Historical Figures, Geography, Map Skills, Social Studies, World History