In this lesson plan which is adaptable for grades 3-12, students use BrainPOP resources to explore 3D printing. Students will learn what 3D printers can and cannot do and sketch a useful object that they’d like to make with a 3D printer. Students with 3D printer access will also be able to print their own 3D Moby.
- Identify what 3D printers currently can and cannot print.
- Explain how 3D printer technology works.
- Sketch a useful object that could be made using current 3D printer technology.
- Computer with internet access for BrainPOP
- Interactive whiteboard
- 3D printer (optional)
- 3D Moby .stl file (optional)
- The day before implementing this lesson, ask students to find an article online about 3D printing and generate a list of questions they have about the topic. They might also list some things they'd like to create using a 3D printer.
- Display the Graphic Organizer on your interactive whiteboard. Encourage student volunteers to share what they already know about 3D printing based on their independent research, and share what they'd like to know. Type their responses into the organizer.
- Open a new tab or window on your browser and play the 3D Printing Movie for the class.
- Return to the graphic organizer. Is there any information they thought they knew that was incorrect? What new information do they have now? Which questions were answered and which remain unanswered? Are there any new questions that students have?
- If you have access to a 3D printer in your classroom, tell students they will have the opportunity to print their own 3D Moby, just like in the movie. Show students what the 3D Moby .stl fileand printer look like and demonstrate how to print.
- Pass out copies of the Activity or graph paper, and encourage students to sketch something that is both useful and simple enough to print on a 3D printer.
- Allow students to share their ideas and creations with the class.
- You can assess student learning using the Quiz.
Filed as: 3-5, 3D Printing, 6-8, 9-12, Blended Classroom, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.11-12.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.5.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.7.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.8.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.9-10.7, Classroom Projects, Lesson Plan, Printer, Technology